Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Crockpot Chaos

So I was feeling brave today and decided to cook a meal using my crockpot for the first time. On the menu for tonight 3 cheese chicken soup, yummy. Now I must tell everyone I am not a great cook, I'm barely a good cook. Most of the food I make is edible at least, but I am still learning my way around the kitchen. I do not enjoy cooking I find it stressful and overwhelming to have multilple things going on in the kitchen. Baking I like and I'm getting pretty good at it but making dinner for my family to me is a nightmare. So I begin chopping veggies celery, carrots, peppers etc, that goes fine and then comes all the measuring the ingrediants, adding them in mixing them up and I'm finding I don't have everything I need and have to call my mom to ask how the heck do I make chicken broth? Finally everything is in the pot and I turn it on and that's it now I wait for 2hours while it cooks. I sigh glad thats over with and take a look around the kitchen and size up the mess that is waiting for me. There is food everywhere the counters are cluttered with dirty measuring cups and every other cooking item I own and I think to myself was it worth it? All the drama all the mess? Someone better eat this darn soup good or not!!! Well while I'm dealing with the dreaded kitchen the kids are going buck wild in the living room, karate chopping things, tearing up kleenex(joshie), pulling out all the baby wipes(again Joshie), jumping off furniture (all 3) and so on. But now I'm exhausted from cooking, I don't know how people do it everynight. So I reluctantly take control of the wild animals, I mean the children. Pick up the living room and sit down with a cup of coffee and wait. 1hour later I check on the soup, it looks edible and it smells edible, I start to feel hopeful, maybe, just maybe it will be good. 1 hour to go. tictoctictoctictoc ding! dinners ready. I set the table and serve the children. Madelyn and Josh take one look at it see vegetables and decide they're not eating that, but Isaac goes at it with gusto. I love that kid. He scarfs down 3 helpings and tells me its the best soup he's ever had, pats me on the back and says "mom your really getting better at this whole cooking thing". Thats all I needed. That kid is great he tries whatever I make and gives me positive feedback on everything I make. Michael was at school during dinner but had some when he got home and said it was really good. So crockpot cooking was a success! I might even try it agian some time but I might need to hire a zookeeper, I mean babysitter to watch the kids while I focus on dinner:)

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard you have a real talent here for writing and the cooking..well it is coming along :)

    ReplyDelete