Thursday, January 28, 2010

More Basketball

This past Saturday was basically all day basketball, with team pictures first thing in the morning and then a couple of games. Pictures went well Isaac actually smiled for his photos this year instead of scowling like he did in last years pictures. After pictures it was off to his first game. The game was pretty intense. It was more like watching football than basketball. Kids were flying all over the place. The coach of the other team got into a heated arguement with the ref and one of the kids on Isaac's team got the wind knocked out of him and ended up barfing on the court. Poor kid, he was such a trooper though. He sat out for a little bit then got right back into the game. Isaac played a good game, he's really getting better at making passes and playing defense. They won that game. We had time to run home and have lunch and relax for a little while and then it was off to the next game. Isaac played amazingly in this game. He was every where. Everyone was asking me what I fed him for lunch. There was a kid on the other team who is like 6 feet tall and only 12 years old. So he just stood under the basket and plopped the ball in. Isaac though didn't hesitate trying to jump as high as I could to try and knock the ball out of the kids hand. It was quite comical to watch actually. They ended up loosing that game, but they put up a good fight. I had a proud mommy moment during that game. One of the kids on the opposing team was knocked down and Isaac stopped to help him up winning praise from the other moms watching the game with me, Telling me what a sweet, nice kid he was to do that....ahhh I love those moments. Make me forget the arguments I have with him to put his coat off, to gett off the computer when told etc, etc.

He had a game on Monday, which their team won. The coach on the opposing team was a real jerk. Instead of coaching his team he stood there screaming at them. I felt so bad for the kids on his team especially his son, who he was pushing really hard. The kid got hurt a few times and even got stomped on the head, and was lying on the court holding his head and his coach, who is his dad, wouldn't pull him out of the game, the refs had to make him pull his kid out. what kind of parent/coach would do that, it made me sick. People like that guy give sports a bad name. So I was really glad we beat that team, I didn't want that guy to go home a winner.

Last night's game was a rough one. Our team was short two players so the boys had to play all 4 quarters with out any breaks. Isaac was running out of steam by the 3rd quarter and they were loosing big. The boys were all getting frustrated. At one point during a time out Isaac looked like he was going to cry. It broke my heart, he was putting so much pressure on himself. I wanted to just grab him and take him home and forget all about basketball. It was one of those mom moments though when you just have to give them a quick hug and send them back out there. These are things he's going to have to learn to deal with if he wants to be part of the world of sports. Dissapointment and loss is part of it and as much as I'd like to sheild him from feeling those things, I know it's part of life and my job is to give him the tools he'll need to hold up under lifes dissapointments. They lost the game big time by a whopping 24 points. They really didn't stand a chance, but they did their best and played a good game. Isaac was feeling down about on the car ride home, but he went and spent the night at Grammy's house and was feeling upbeat in a short time.

ahhh, sports, I never really saw myslef as being a sports mom. I've seen that sports can bring out the best and worst in people. Isaac really likes playing basketball and has fun with it. I'm glad he has the oppurtunity to play sports,since he's homeschooled. I just hope to be able to use it to bring out the good qualities of sportsmenship, teamwork, trying your best and not giving up, hard work and discipline.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that all those "bad" examples out there in the world of sports can be used for good in our lives too! Just being on a sports team and committing to it and staying the whole season and giving it your best makes you top notch :) Tell Isaac I said so!

    ReplyDelete